June – July 2019
Mass Incarceration: Causes & Effects
Tuesdays, June 25 & July 2, 9, 16, & 23
10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Mark E. Roseman, JD, author
$48 for OLLI members/$66 for nonmembers
The United States incarcerates more people than any other country. The national prison population is 2.3 million, men, women, and juveniles. Why is that? What’s going on?
Taught by former attorney and California inmate Mark Roseman, the course examines three factors contributing to mass incarceration: (1) criminal and social justice systems and policies, (2) conditions associated with living locked up and their impact, and (3) the inmates’ challenges when reentering society.
The course delves into the components of each contributing factor with compelling and timely topics about the prison reform movement and incremental changes that are happening and why. Topics include:
- Criminal justice systems—In California and federal
- Racial disproportionality—Social and anthropological perspectives.
- Bail—Pretrial release, money bail systems, sentencing guidelines, and politics
- Prison living conditions—Overcrowding, healthcare, and 8th Amendment rights
- The impact of incarceration—On the inmates families and more
- Surviving prison—Finding safety in an upside-down culture and the rules of the game
- Reentry—The real challenges of leaving confinement
Students will think about incarceration from the perspective of knowledge and not visceral fear. They will better understand the criminal justice system in California beyond what they may have learned from movies, television, and other media.
June 8, 2019
Mark E. Roseman will be the featured presenter, speaking about “Current Issues in Criminal Justice and Prison Reform” from 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. at the Stoneridge Creek Retirement Center in Pleasanton, CA (3300 Stoneridge Creek Way, Pleasanton, CA 94588). Registration information to follow.
June 18, 2019
Mark E. Roseman will be speaking about “Why Are There So Many People in Our Jails and Prisons?” His talk will take place from 2 – 3:30 p.m. at the Lake Park Retirement Community, Oakland, CA (1850 Alice St, Oakland, CA 94612). Registration information to follow.